Cinco De Mayo brings a lot of fun and laughter but even more delicious food! Embrace the day and make some of the best food while you enjoy a dunk in your pool. Below we offer a few of our favorite recipes that you can grab and go! The perfect finger foods to enjoy while you are enjoying your backyard swimming pool.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup Seasoned Taco Meat
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 5 flour tortillas (8 inches), room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- Additional salsa
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the taco meat, cheese, salsa, mayonnaise, olives and onion. Spread over tortillas. Sprinkle with lettuce; roll up tightly. Wrap securely and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Unwrap and cut into 1-in. pieces. Serve with additional salsa.
Fresh Lime Margaritas
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 4 lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1-1/3 cups crushed ice
- In a pitcher, combine first five ingredients; stir until sugar is dissolved. Moisten rims of 4 margarita or cocktail glasses with lime wedges. Sprinkle salt on a plate; dip rims in salt. Serve in prepared glasses over crushed ice.
– For Frozen Strawberry Margaritas: Follow directions for Frozen Lime Margaritas, except add 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries and reduce crushed ice to 2 cups. Yield: 4 cups.
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 medium ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
In a large bowl, combine onion, tomatoes, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil; gently toss to coat. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes or until tender and charred, turning occasionally. Brush avocados with remaining oil. Grill or broil avocados, cut side down, 4-6 minutes or until charred. Cool vegetables completely.
Chop onion, tomatoes and pepper; set aside. Peel avocados; transfer to a large bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in vegetables, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and salt. Serve immediately with chips.
Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 package (1 pound) egg roll wrappers (14 count)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salsa and additional sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream and chiles. Stir in beef mixture. Place an egg roll wrapper on work surface with one point facing you. Place 1/3 cup filling in center. Fold bottom third of wrapper over filling; fold in sides.
- Brush top point with egg white; roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Keep remaining egg roll wrappers covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out.)
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas on each side or until golden brown, 1-1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream.We would love to hear your results and how the dishes turned out for you. Please give feedback on the above recipes or share any ideas you have.Thank you Taste of Home for your beautiful recipes and images.
Read more >>> 5 Summertime Pool Safety Tips